By Joie Goh
Watching your carb and cholesterol intake? Here’s a simple recipe for an egg-free brunch entree that’s both tasty and full of plant-based proteins and fibre!
- 2 cups of any vegetables of your choice, diced (a mix of zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, spinach and kale work well!)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 package of firm tofu
- 1 package of silken tofu
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg Celsius.
- Blend the firm and silken tofu in a blender or food processor along with the nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper until it forms a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat up the olive oil. Stir fry the vegetables, onion and garlic until cooked and fragrant.
- Remove the pan from heat. Add the blended tofu paste into the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture into an 8-inch springform cake tin. A regular round cake tin works as well – however, to prevent the frittata from sticking to the sides and falling apart when you remove it from the tin, do line the cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the tin into the oven and bake for 45 mins, until the frittata is browned on top and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, remove the outer ring of the springform cake tin (or, if using a regular tin, gently loosen the frittata from the edges, place a large serving plate over the top and flip it over to remove).
- Slice the frittata and serve with brunch!